Take your university web site or another
site of your choice and assess it for accessibility
How would you recommend improving the site?
* Note that the question in the book mentions Bobby, but the Bobby site is not longer online, use WEBAIM or AChecker instead.
answer available for tutors only
The answer to this question will depend
on the web site chosen. Free online test
services are available at http://wave.webaim.org/
The report provided will give detailed advice
about how to improve accessibility and the answer
should be based on this.
For example, the second edition web site
for this book produced the following report (on the old Bobby site):
Section 508 Accessibility
This page does not meet the requirements for Section
508 Approved status. Below is a list of 2 Section
508 accessibility error(s) found:
1. Provide alternative text for all images.
Lines 12, 23, 68, 75, 79, 83, 91, 96, 100, 106, 121
2. Explicitly associate form controls and their labels
with the LABEL element. (1 instance)
Section 508 User Checks
User checks are triggered by something specific
on the page; however, you need to determine manually
whether they apply and, if applicable, whether your
page meets the requirements. Bobby Section 508 Approval
requires that all user checks pass. Even if your page
does conform to these guidelines they appear in the
report. Please review these 7 item(s):
1. If you can't make a page accessible,
construct an alternate accessible version.
2. Make sure that labels of all form controls are
3. If you use color to convey information, make sure
the information is also represented another way. (19
Lines 12, 15, 20, 23, 26, 32, 65, 68, 70, 75, 79,
83, 84, 91, 96, 100, 106, 121
4. If this is a data table (not used for layout only),
identify headers for the table rows and columns. (2
Lines 9, 136
5. If there are logical groupings of form controls,
use FIELDSET with LEGEND on each group. (1 instance)
6. If an image conveys important information beyond
what is in its alternative text, provide an extended
description. (4 instances)
Lines 12, 68, 75, 121
7. If a table has two or more rows or columns that
serve as headers, use structural markup to identify
their hierarchy and relationship. (3 instances)
Lines 9, 61, 136
The following 1 item(s) are not triggered by any specific
feature on your page, but are still important for
accessibility and are required for Bobby Section 508
8. If a timed process is about to expire, give the
user notification and a chance to extend the timeout.
Copyright © 2002 Watchfire Corporation. All rights
reserved. Use of this software is subject to the Bobby
Software License Agreement.
This example suggests two actions that
are required to make the page accessible: adding "alt"
tags to all images and using the "label"
element in the form tag. All of the other recommendations
are checks that should be made but which may not require